Honorary Degrees

You are here

Honorary Degrees are administered by the Office Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies. Deadlines are February and September each year. Please call (517) 355-0306 or email vprgs@msu.edu

How to refer to your honorary degree

When referring to a Michigan State University honorary degree: It must be clear the degree awarded is an honorary degree and not an earned degree.

To avoid confusion, the language in an academic setting is honoris causa or the abbreviation h.c.

Outside the academic setting, the appropriate language is "honorary degree" or "honorary doctorate." It is recommended that in a curriculum vitae or resume the honorary degree be listed under “honors and awards” and not under “education.”